Team Taught by Jody Wallace and Maggie Lynch
Conflict is crucial to any story. It is what drives the story from beginning to end. From a personal change or enlightenment all the way to life or death and saving the world, conflict is used to structure your plot, reveal a deeper meaning in a character journey, and define story themes. This course will help you identify types of conflict and how to use conflict to take your story from meh to awe.
This course includes how to:
- Define conflict and its purpose
- Plot-based and exterior conflict – World
- Relationship-based and romantic conflict – Heart
- Psyche-based and internal conflict, aka the character arc – Soul
- Identify your story’s conflict options
- Characters with opposing values or goals
- Character GMC in general and character arcs in a romance
- Powerful antagonists (nature, society, human)
- Subplots and smaller conflicts to build a longer arc
- Sustain conflict throughout the story
- Raising the stakes
- Primary and secondary sources of tension
- Managing the ebb and flow of tension
2022 Open Sections
Tuesdays, January 11 – February 1, 9:30am PT, 12:30pm ET, 5:30pm GMT – This course is over for this year.
Duration: 4 Weeks, meets every Tuesday at the same time for 90 minutes on Zoom.